Thursday, July 29, 2010

UC Berkeley

Wednesday:  It has been a long day - I've been up for 20 hours.  The flight from LR to San Francisco was uneventful (that hardly ever happens for me) and I navigated the train from SF to Berkeley without any problems.  The 1.5 mile hike from the train station to where I'm staying was uphill the entire way, with me carting a bag and a backpack.  Whew!  I got my workout today!  I am staying this first night at the Piedmont/Berkeley house which is a hostel.  It is a big old house - the kind with squeeky and uneven floors, with rooms that have been partitioned off to make more rooms.  It looks like a "hippie house" from the early 70's.  If I didn't know better I'd think that I'd been here before :)  The room is very "basic" to say the least - and I had to put the sheets on the bed myself.



After checking into my room, I explored the campus and the town.  The hostel is right next door to a fraternity house....The area around the campus reminds me a lot of the area around Centenary College in Shreveport back in the day.  I grabbed me a bowl of soup to go from a health food store and went back to my room for dinner tonight....I've got to study for class tomorrow.

No comments: