Friday, July 30, 2010

Co-ed bathroom/shower!

I'm staying at the Faculty Club which is right in the middle of the UC-Berkeley campus.  The building reminds me of the lodges in Yellowstone (beautiful wood on all the walls and large stone fireplaces).



They told me when I registered that all rooms have a shared bath on the floor. That really didn't concern me since many of the lodges out west have shared restrooms and it has never been a problem. I checked into my room right before dinner and went to the restroom. I had a key to get in, but noticed that I could not lock the door from the inside (so everyone on the floor that has a key could walk in). Now, this would not be a problem, but this is a co-ed bathroom! I went to the front desk thinking that maybe I had missed out on some instructions and there is a system that I'm not aware of....No, said the front desk clerk...it is a co-ed restroom/shower. Now, you walk in and there are two stalls to the right with commodes and stall doors, and two showers to the left with frosted glass doors, and one shower with a stall door, with two sinks in the middle. Let me be clear, when I say "stall door," I'm talking the same kind of doors that you see in all public restrooms with a one inch gap all the way around! So I could be taking my shower and some strange man comes in to brush his teeth....I just can't handle that. No need to worry, I solved the problem...I got a piece of tape from the front desk and put a sign on the door that said "Occupied, come back in about 10 minutes."





All things considered, this has been a very productive day. It is probably the best seminar that I've ever been to. I am the only educator in the group, so it has been very interesting visiting with these company leaders and learning about their sustainability efforts. The west coast society is so far ahead of the south in terms of thinking about sustainability. The Chief Sustainability officer of Symantics (they make Norton Anti-virus) spoke this afternoon and our dinner speaker was the CEO of HIP Investor. We started at 7:30 this morning and finished at 8:00 this evening - and we have an equally long day tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Williams said...

Now that is funny and creative!