Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Reno Project

Phillip and I have been working on the guest cottage at the lake.  Our plans started small, but as usually happens, the plans have grown.  I decided to paint the cabinets in the "kitchenette" because they were this ugly, cheap, white laminate with faux wood trim.  I wish I had a "before" picture, but I didn't think about it at the time.  We painted them black, which required 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of black.  I don't have the knobs on yet, but they look sooooo much better:
As you can see in the picture, the floor was in progress.  After painting the cabinets, the floor looked worse and I found these stick on tiles that matched perfectly to the carpet.  For less than $20 - I decided to go for it.  I layed the tiles myself.  It was so easy (and cheap) and looked so much better, I decided to do the bathroom, too.  Well, the bathroom is a different story...first the laminate did not come up as easily as the kitchen floor had.  Phillip had to take up the commode first, too.  Below is a picture of our efforts to get the backing up off the floor.  It has been a very slow process:
Then, if we replace the floor, we should paint first...and now the ceiling really should be painted...and now the cabinets could use a coat of paint...and the list goes on and on.....

No comments: