Friday, October 23, 2020

Katy Trail

As a newly retired person, I have been wanting to take a very "spur of the moment" trip, just because I can.  Well, it happened!

Wednesday, October 21: Phillip and I were drinking our coffee, discussing our schedule for the day.  We wanted to vote for President Trump around 10 to miss the morning and lunch crowds, but other than that we really had nothing planned.  However, it was a pretty day and I wanted to ride my bike.  I had just done a 15 mile ride, so I wanted to do a 20.  Suddenly, I thought about the Katy Trail.  I had not thought about the trail for some time, but probably 10 years ago I did some research on the trail.  However, I never could make the trip work since it is pretty far from Arkadelphia.

Things started happening quickly (1) Prettiest section of the trail? Rocheport to Jefferson City (2) what is the weather in that area tomorrow? Beautiful, sunny, high of 80 degrees (3) Can we find a campground nearby? Booneville, sites available (4) how quickly can we pack the RV? It stays packed with the basics, so we have to hook-up, load bikes, food, and clothes and we'll be ready.  (5) Can we do this? YES!

We were on the road by noon and in Booneville in time for a nice dinner in the RV.

Thursday, the weather is perfect!  We headed south east about 6.5 miles on the trail then turned around. This put us back in Rocheport in time for lunch at the cute little outdoor cafe next to the trail.  

After lunch we headed southwest on the trail which took us through this tunnel and about 3.5 miles out. By the time we turned around and went back to the truck we had our 20 miles (whew).


On this ride, 4 black snakes crossed the path in front of us.  I saw an eagle fly off from one of the cliffs.


No comments: